Sunday, January 10, 2010

 

Nassau, Bahamas


I finally post from our current assignment in Nassau, Bahamas. We have been here for about 2 ½ years now. Much beer has been brewed and consumed. I also made some mead for the first time. It was with “Androsian” honey, meaning it came from Andros island, one of the larger islands of the Bahamas. A buddy of mine and I made it together and we used a White Labs mead yeast and followed the guidelines in Papazian’s appendix. It turned out wonderfully. I was very surprised and pleased.This same buddy, who I taught how to do grain batches introduced me to Midwest Home Brewing and Wine Making Supplies. I have used them some for supplies and I can recommend them. They are a solid company as far as I can tell.

One comment on living here is that it is the first place in quite a long time that we have been posted for a three year tour. It’s been a pretty decent tour but a bit too long and I am glad it is starting to wind down. Nassau is nice but we often tell friends and family when they mention how cool it must be to live in such a pace that living in paradise is different than visiting it. On balance it’s been a respectable tour. Not the best but definitely not the worst.

I am so late in making this post, that I can also talk about where we are going next – Washington, DC. We have been “out” for 15 years nearly continuously. So, now that it looks like we are going back to the states, I feel like I can recap the places I have brewed: West Point, NY (first batch made in Jan ’94); Montgomery, AL; Wiesbaden Germany (first tour); Port au Prince, Haiti; Wiesbaden, Germany (second tour); Dakar, Senegal; Islamabad, Pakistan; Nassau, the Bahamas and hopefully Washington, DC when we get situated there this summer.

Here in Nassau, we live in a small bungalow style home with a nice washroom with service sink and enough room for a second fridge I have used as a kegerator – nothing fancy but it has the capacity to run a three soda keg set up and bottle storage for about three cases. I have included photos of our place in Nassau.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?