Saturday, March 12, 2005

 

Secondary fermentation


Sometimes I rack to a secondary fermenter, sometimes I don’t. If I am making a Weizen Bier for example, I do not. When I do rack to a secondary fermenter and I want some clarity, I use Polyclar. I prepare the slurry with some of the wort I used to check the gravity and I dump it in near the end of the siphoning. During my boil, I always use Irish Moss and during the wort transfer here, I use Polyclar. This combination has worked well for me. I almost always get the yeast settled out and the Polyclar prevents most of the chill haze. I have also eliminated chill haze with gravity, chilling the beer to near freezing and letting it sit for about eight weeks. It worked but it was very slow.

homebrewlog

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?