Sunday, March 20, 2005

 

Starting the boil


I take an immediate gravity check after I have finished sparging and while I am waiting for the wort to come to full boil. I do this to see if I have had an efficient enough mash. Also, if I want to adjust the sugar content up by adding something I can at this point as it will be subjected to the full boil time.

I seldom have to do any adjusting but I always do the check. For example, if I am shooting for a range 50 to 55 grav at pitching I will need a grav at this point of about 45-48. If it is around there, the reduction of wort from boil off will increase the density and get me to the 50 to 55 range. If I have to adjust the sugar content up wards I add a half pound of dried pale malt extract and check it again.

I also add any additional sugars a recipe may call for at this point. For example brown sugar for a Brown Ale.

To get an accurate grav, I force cool it down to 60F. This way, I do not have to adjust the grav reading based on its actual temp as compared to the base temp of 60F.

homebrewlog

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?