Monday, March 21, 2005

 

Re-circulating wort


I start the re-circulation process and continue it until I get it to a fairly clear point. These pictures are not of the same batch but they illustrate how the wort is initially cloudy and then as the filter bed sets up it becomes fairly clear. Once the re-circulating is done, I transfer the worth over to the boiler, put it on the heat and start adding sparge water through the colander onto the grain bed. I use enough sparge water until I get the wort up to about 2 inches from the top of my boiler. Over time, this point has proven to the point I need to be at when I start my boil. Factoring in evaporation, absorption of wort into hop leaves, what has to be left behind when racking wort off the trub and spent yeast all have led me back to the "“two inches below the rim"” rule of thumb.
homebrewlog

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?