Thursday, January 06, 2005

 

Finding My Way to Brewing (Part Five)

Then it was back to the USA where I was stationed in the DC area for one year. I didn’t do much there with making alcoholic products. However, I did buy Miller’s book: “The Complete Handbook of Home Brewing”. While in DC I was told I was going to go to West Point following my year in DC. We moved there in summer ’93. One autumn day at the Post Exchange beverage shop I noticed a “Beer in the Bag” kit for sale for about twenty bucks. I bought it, brought it home, dumped the required amount of hot water in it and hung in my closet. Sure enough it swelled and fermented out. The quality of the beer was very poor. In fact, I had trouble drinking it but a buddy of mine helped me and over the course of a week or two, we drunk it off. He always said it tasted like gunpowder so we named it: Gunpowder brew”…original, huh.

It was at this point that I thought their had to be a better way. So, I pulled out my Miller book, started re-reading it and began to pull together my equipment. I found a small home brew shop no too far away, bought what I needed and went to work. So, that brings us full circle back to the beginning of this story when I completed and drank my first batch back in ‘94

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?