Saturday, March 26, 2005

 

Adjusting PH


At this point, I check the PH to get the mash into the optimal PH range for mashing. I collect a little mash liquid in a spoon and set it on the edge of the sink. I blow on it a bit to cool it off. I dip a PH strip in the liquid and drag the excess off the strip by dragging it along the edge of the spoon. Then I compare it to the scale. In this case the PH is high, about 6.2. It needs to be between 5.0 and 5.7. I add about a half TSP of gypsum, stir it in well and check it again. The area I am in now, the mash seems to always need about 1 to 1.5 tsps of gypsum to get within range. I have been in other places where I have added calcium carbonate. I have thought about buying a PH meter but have never gotten around to it. Maybe one day I will try one out.

homebrewlog

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?